The module protects investments with standards-based 10 Gigabit Ethernet that allows IT departments to consolidate networks based on their own unique requirements and timing:
- Each port can also be used at 1 Gigabit Ethernet speed, allowing IT departments to migrate to 10 Gigabit Ethernet according to the specific needs of their networks.
- The Cisco Nexus 7700 F2e-Series module includes classic Layer 2 and Layer 3 forwarding, powered by the proven and comprehensive Cisco NX-OS feature set. This extremely comprehensive set of Layer 2 and Layer 3 functions makes this module excellent for data center networks, in which density, performance, and continuous system operation are critical.
- The Cisco Nexus 7700 F2e-Series module is a key enabler of Cisco FabricPath. With Cisco FabricPath, organizations can build resilient, flexible, and if needed, massively scalable Layer 2 networks. Cisco FabricPath protects enterprises’ investments by allowing existing spanning-tree-based deployments to be connected to a Cisco FabricPath network.
The Cisco Nexus 7700 F2e-Series module can be used in conjunction with the Cisco Nexus 2000 Series Fabric Extenders. The Cisco Nexus 2000 Series Fabric Extenders (FEX) are designed to simplify data center architecture and operations by dramatically reducing the number of points of management.
- The Cisco Nexus 7700 F2e-Series module delivers integrated Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE*), greatly simplifying the network infrastructure and reducing costs by enabling the deployment of unified data center fabrics to consolidate data center traffic onto a single, general-purpose, high-performance, highly available network. With the Cisco Nexus 7700 F2e-Series module, FCoE can be deployed in director-class modular platforms for the access layer and core of converged networks. (FCoE functionality is supported on all Nexus 7700 platforms, except for Nexus 7706 for which the support will be enabled in a future software release).
- The virtual device context (VDC) feature helps enable the virtualization of a single physical device in one or more logical devices. Each provisioned logical device is configured and managed as if it were a separate physical device.
- The Cisco Nexus 7700 F2e-Series module offers exceptional security with integrated hardware support for:
- Configurable control-plane policing (CoPP), which protects the supervisor CPU fro excessive traffic.
- ACL counters and logging capability to allow administrators to see what traffic is policed
- Layer 2 to Layer 4 ACL for both IPv4 and IPv6 traffic
- Cisco TrustSec® technology, including line-rate data confidentiality, data integrity, and ACL processing for security group tags (SGTs); data confidentiality and integrity conforming to the IEEE MAC security standard (IEEE 802.1AE MACsec) is supported on a subset of ports: more specifically, ports 41 to 48 (the leftmost eight ports) on the module support the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) cipher, using a 128-bit key